I am an academic and researcher in Communication and Media, based in Newcastle Australia.
I worked at the University of Newcastle as an academic until July 2021.
My research interests include creativity and cultural production, journalism, journalism education, media entrepreneurship and work-integrated-learning and my research in these areas has been published in books and journals and presented at national and international conferences.
I am a co-editor of The Creative System in Action: Understanding Cultural Practice and Production, published in 2016 by Palgrave MacMillan UK and a co-author on Educating for Creativity within Higher Education (2018). My latest book, in collaboration with colleagues and due in March 2022, is Creative Industries Entrepreneurship: How Innovative Agents, Skills and Networks Interact.
I taught into the Bachelor of Communication undergraduate and Honours programs at the University of Newcastle from 2007-2021, with lecturing and tutoring experience across a range of theory and production courses that fed into the journalism, public relations and media production majors.
Previously, I worked in a successful, innovative family business both in an official capacity as a Director and the Company Secretary of the company and in the day-to-day running of the business as the office manager. These roles included complying with regulatory and legal requirements as well as running the administrative side of the business, marketing and managing staff.
I left the University of Newcastle on 30 July 2021 due to a restructure and am looking for research assistant opportunities. My skills include:
- Conducting literature reviews
- Assisting with grant applications
- Organising collection and storage of research data
- Proofing and editing
- Managing timelines and budgets
- Maintaining research websites
- PhD (Communication & Media Arts), University of Newcastle (2011)
- Graduate Certificate Practice of Tertiary Teaching, University of Newcastle (2014)
- Bachelor of Communication (Honours), University of Newcastle (2005)
- Bachelor of Communication, University of Newcastle (2004)
Academic Employment Timeline
- Senior Lecturer, School of Creative Industries, University of Newcastle (full time, ongoing), 2017-2021
- Lecturer, School of Design, Communication and IT, University of Newcastle (full time, ongoing), 2012-2016
- Associate Lecturer, School of Design, Communication and IT, University of Newcastle (contract), 2011-2012
- Academic Assistant, School of Design, Communication and IT, University of Newcastle (casual), 2011
- Research Assistant, School of Design, Communication and IT, University of Newcastle (casual), 2007-2009, 2011-2012
- Sessional Instructor, School of Design, Communication and IT, University of Newcastle (casual), 2007-2011